Ghostbusters: Afterlife Movie Review (2021) - some comedy, some drama, a lot of fantasy and adventure, but...

"Ghostbusters: Afterlife" Movie Review, a supernatural comedy film directed by Jason Reitman, written by Reitman and Gil Kenan and starring Carrie Coonas Callie (née Spengler), Finn Wolfhard as Trevor, Mckenna Grace as Phoebe, Paul Rudd as Gary Grooberson, Logan Kim as Podcast, Celeste O'Connor as Lucky Domingo, Bill Murray as Peter Venkman, Dan Aykroyd as Raymond "Ray" Stantz, Ernie Hudson as Winston Zeddemore and Annie Potts as Janine Melnitz.




Ghostbusters: Afterlife Movie Review 2021

I like to review all movies that I see even if they fail to impress me I can usually find something positive about them.


I got a freebie to see Ghostbusters: Afterlife and wanted to see Carrie Coon who plays Callie the Granddaughter of a former Ghostbuster who inherits a run down ranch home on an Oklahoma Farm and moves there with her 2 children Trevor and Phoebe . Strange paranormal occurrences start to occur pointing toward cataclysmic events for the planet and link into their deceased Grandfathers work with Ghosts.


I watched Carrie Coon play a rejected Socialite in the pilot of The Gilded Age recently and also enjoyed her performance in this movie which is an entirely different role playing a single mum with very adventurous adolescent children.


I also enjoyed the actors cast as her children Finn Wolfhard as Trevor and McKenna Grace as Phoebe I can't say the same for a character just called Podcast played by Logan Kim he just irritated me with constant one liners.


That's the positive side in my opinion of Ghostbusters Afterlife as it just didn't seem to know if it was a dark comedy drama or as it's promoted an Adventure Comedy Fantasy.


There certainly are some comedy, some drama, a lot of fantasy and adventure but for me it just didn't develop if it was a cake the ingredients are all there but just don't rise to the occasion.


Maybe it's just a generational thing as I really like the original 1984 Ghostbuster's movie but for me the only common thread here is the cameo appearances of former Ghostbuster's Bill Murray ,Dan Aycroyd and Ernie Hudson.


The special effects are very impressive but I got totally bored with the disjointed plot line . It lost me when the bags of animated white marshmallows started bursting out of their packages in the supermarket and turned into baby ghosty's . It will be a while before I eat marshmallows again.


I know that was part of the comedy and that the whole story is fantasy but it just lost me with its silliness .


What age group is this film appealing to ?


It's very heavy in parts with even a sex scene featuring two ghosts enjoying conjugal bliss and the earth certainly moves when that occurs.


It's a hit apparently and has grossed a huge USD $195,241,789 worldwide more than many other fine films this year but to me that's not the criteria of a great movie.


I just thought it had none of the fun of the original and suffered the fate of many movies today that just seem to lose the plot . You can have a great ensemble cast but if the script is poor I'm not interested.


Review by tm-sheehan

Post a Comment

0 Comments